Building Arizona Families encourages families wanting to grow to learn more about international adoption. As a Hague accredited adoption agency, we are able to complete home studies for international adoption for families in Arizona. Our Hague accredited adoption agency is also appropriately licensed, accredited, and in good standing with the Haiti government to facilitate successful Haiti adoptions that create beautiful forever families. Hague accreditation is an extremely rigorous vetting process for international adoptions, and agencies that are Hague accredited meet very high standards. Please download the Haiti adoption info kit HERE or learn more information about our international adoption program HERE.
Developing a Home Safety Plan to Help Your Adopted Child Achieve Felt Safety in Their New Home
A crucial step in the bonding and attachment process with your adopted child is helping them develop feelings of safety in their new home and family. Developing a Home Safety Plan can be part of this process. This is especially important with older children and with children who have been adopted internationally. Here are steps to help you develop a plan:
1. Develop a written safety plan and post it in an accessible place in your home. Include emergency phone numbers and an outline of your home with arrows showing the paths to any exits. Take into consideration different types of emergencies, such as medical, fire, storms, extreme heat/cold, etc. when developing your plans.
2. As age-appropriate, walk your child through your plans step-by-step so that they become familiar. Use pictures. Use this as an opportunity to identify any special considerations you may need to make or any specific responsibilities your child may have (e.g. waiting for a parent versus leaving the home unaccompanied). Identify and practice the safe paths to leave your home and a specific location to meet, like a neighbor’s house, in case you get separated.
3. Ensure that your children have ways to get in touch with you if needed. Help them memorize important phone numbers and teach them about knowing how to ask trusted adults for help. Teach them to use the phone or text.
4. Go over example situations in which your child may need to ask for help. Some children may have trouble identifying what is an emergency or not, depending on their age or developmental needs, so rehearsing possible situations can be helpful. For example, what do they need to do if you become separated at the store and that hiding when you are shopping is not a fun game.
5. Plan for the long term. Emergencies, even small ones, can awaken old traumas or be traumatic in their own right and may require additional aftercare. Being aware of this ahead of time can help you know what to look for in the long run, if an emergency does end up occurring.
6. You, as the parent, need to remain calm. Teach your child you are safe and can be trusted. Responding to the child’s concerns helps build a lasting bond that starts with trust.
Our Hague Accredited Adoption Agency is Ready to Help You Start Your International Adoption Journey
We provide international adoption services for families across the USA. Adopt Haiti Children supports adoptive families with responsive, proactive service and communication. Our mission is to place as many children as possible into loving families, and it is a joy to help families grow.
As one of a limited number of U.S. adoption agencies allowed to continue working in Haiti, we are Hague accredited and meet stringent international adoption standards. Since 2005, we have been working alongside forever families when adopting children from Haiti. Learn more about the importance of a Hague accredited adoption agency HERE.
For more information on how you can adopt a child from Haiti, visit us HERE. Let us know how we can better help you start your adoption journey HERE. Contact Lisa Peterson, Haiti Adoption Program Manager, HERE for more information on the Haiti adoption process or learn more about upcoming seminars, or call her at 623-692-4424. Building Arizona Families thanks you for entrusting us with your adoption journey and the chance to help your family grow!